It is Well with My Soul
- Who Wants Peace?
- Lots of talk about Peace
- If you have not heard,
there is a war going on currently against Terrorism.
- Mankind has had relatively
few years in its existence when there were not wars occuring.
Ex. In Past man asked
Will the Huns and Romans Stop waring
Yes, not in your
Following this, a
man asked God
Will there be peace in middle east.. Yes, but not in my
- Jesus says in Mt. 24:6 - And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that ye be
not troubled: for these things must needs come to pass; but the end is not yet.
- We are not going to
see an earth without war, an earth with physical peace.
- As long as sin exists,
there will not be physical peace.
- Jesus offers us spiritual peace. - John 14:27
- About the Text: - 3 John 1:1-4
- This third epistle of
John is written to one of John's friends, Gaius.
- During the salutation,
John expresses his desire for Gaius' good health.
- Then he compares his physical health with
his spiritual health.
- He says, "I wish
above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul
- He recognizes Gaius' good spiritual health.
- In essence, he was saying
that things were well with his soul
- Is it well with your
- We have a song in our
song book, "It is well with my soul,"
- This song speaks about the peace we can have regardless of what happens around us.
- Our Sermon Title for
today is It is well with my soul.
- Today, It is well with
my soul because . . .
- I have peace knowing God
is in control.
- Have you ever felt out
- There's not too many worse
feelings in this world.
- I've had some auto
accidents in which I was out of control. (Not April Car Flip)
- Many fear flying because they are not in
- We don't like to feel or be out of control.
- Life can sometimes feel out of control.
- Perhaps things aren't going well in our
- Perhaps we have family members who have
made bad choices.
- Perhaps we don't like what is going on in
to Draw Picture which Demonstrated Peace the Best Sunny day, apple blossoms, green
grass, etc. Dark day Driving rain, howling winds, lightening, roaring waterfall,
bird tucked warmly under it all.
What can we do when we
feel life is out of control?
- We can know that God is
in control of all things.
- Hebrews 1:3 says
that God upholds "all things by the word of His power."
- Colossians 1:16-18
- Isaiah 40:28-31
- Knowing that God is in control brings
peace to our lives. It Means
- I don't have to have all of the answers.
- God will deal with the
choices of others.
- Regardless of what happens to me in my
life, God will take care of me if I seek him first Mt. 6.
- I have peace
knowing Christ is My Example of Peace - Mark.4:35-41
- Our text tells us
that, He himself was in the stern, asleep on the
- Christ had great confidence and
serenity. Christ had Peace.
- While the others were distressed he was
- When Jesus had
awakened, he addressed the storm. (Didnt yell) Peace, be still.
- If you are struggling with
your faith, who can help you?
- If you are
struggling in a relationship, who can help you?
- If you are worried about
the storms of life? Who can help you?
- If you need someone to talk
to? Who ya gonna call?
- If you need strength
who ya gonna call?
- If you need patience
who ya gonna call?
- Heb 4:15 - For
we have not a high priest that cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but
one that hath been in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
- Christ Could have been
Afraid, but he wasnt! He Had Peace Knowing He was in Control.
- I Have Peace knowing
Christ has the power to save me from my personal storms
Our storms may be physical, or emotional, or financial, or moral, or ethical, or
religious. In all of these turbulent areas Christ can bring peace.
- Pauls inner peace because of
Christ: Phi 4:11-13 - Not that I speak in respect of
want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am
instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I
can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
- Daniel 3:17, Shadrach,
Meshach, and Abednego would not bow down to golden image.
- They had Peace!: Our
God is able to deliver us from this burning, fiery, furnace.
- I believe that our God is able to calm
whatever storms and stresses may come in our lives.
- I Have Peace knowing
Salvation from Death is Available
- Consider a world in
which the possibility of salvation doesn't exist.
- No Hope of life after this world..
- There would be no reason to live, except
eat, drink, and be merry!
- One would have no peace or comfort from
- But now salvation is available for all.
- 1 Timothy 4:10 "For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust
in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe."
- 1 John 2:2 "And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but
also for the sins of the whole world."
- 1 John 4:14 "And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be
the Saviour of the world."
- Because salvation is available for all, we
can have peace with God. Romans 5:1 "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through
our Lord Jesus Christ:"
E. I Have Peace
Knowing The End Result of this life is victory.
- How does it feel when
you know you are going to win? (TAW)
- Have you ever watched a
game in which you know your team is going to win?
- Ever played a game in
which you knew you were going to win? (or end of game)
- There is a certain peace of mind that comes
- The Bible teaches that God and His
people are going to win!
- 1 Corinthians 15:57 "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord
- 1 John 5:4 "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the
victory that overcometh the world, even our faith."
- Revelation 17:14 "These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome
them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called,
and chosen, and faithful."
- Because the end result is victory, we
can have peace.
- It is well with my soul
because I Have Peace Knowing:
- God is in control.
- Christ is My Example of
- Christ has the power to save me from my
- Salvation from Death is Available
- The end result is victory.
- This peace is only
available to those who are Christians.
- If you are not a Christian you are going to
miss this peace.
- If you are not a faithful Christian, then
you don't have these promises.
- 2 Th 1:7-8 -
And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from
heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God,
and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
- Make the changes necessary
today to ensure that in the end all things will be well with your soul.
Changes Do I Need to Undergo If I Am Not A Christian?
- Act 2:37
- Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto
Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter
said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for
the remission of sins,
- If you do these
things and live faithfully there after, on that great and notable day of the judgement,
you will hear your Savior confess your name before His father who is in heaven and enjoy
Peace for evermore.
- If this invitation applies to you,
wont you let it be known as we stand and sing