Sermon Title: I Want Patience and I Want It Now!
- Gal. 5:22
- We have covered Love,
Joy, Peace, now we focus on Patience (also steadfast,
- Patience is a fruit of
the Spirit. This Means:
- First, We have the capacity
by the Spirit to be patient
- 2 Thess. 3:5 Our
hearts are directed into patience! (God is directing, must be
- Cant is not an option
- Yet, many of us are still
working at fulfilling our potential.
- Second, We are commanded to
- Patience Defined
- What is Patience?
- My Def -
Patience is the endurance to absorb lifes daily annoyances.
- Ex. Sally, 1st Grade Teacher,
Stormy so alarm clock did not sound, bad hair day, children
cant go out because of rain, children restless, grew more restless, couldnt
wait till 3:00. Got them ready to dismiss at 2:45. Sorted out boots, hats,
coats. One child left, boots to small for his feet. No straps, zippers
took all of her strength to get them on. Finally, got them. Sigh of
relief. Little boy looked at feet, You know
what teacher? These boots arent mine. Teacher
did not know whether to laugh or cry
bravely began to take them off. Harder to
get off than on. Yanked, pulled tugged. At last they came off. She
looked at the little boys face. He smiled back at her at said, These boots arent mine, they are my sisters, and I got to
- Col. 3:12-17 Put
on, clothe yourself with Patience.
- Clothed with
patience, we can absorb frustration like a good bath mat absorbs water.
- And What is
Long-Suffering? Is It the Same as Patience?
- Col 1:9-11 -
For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you,
and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and
spiritual understanding; That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being
fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all
might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with
- 2Ti 3:10-11 - But
thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering,
charity, patience, Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at
Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord
- The Bible uses the two words separately in
the same context, thus, they are not the same.
- My Def - Long
Suffering is enduring the same annoyances over time.
- Best example of this is the quirks of a
spouse experienced endlessly
- Eat off your plate
- Leave clothes on the floor instead of
- Constantly, leave the seat down
- Who Wants
Patience? Patience is Something We all desire. (List 3
We, God, Others)
- We want to be patient
- It shows our love for
God John 14:15
- It is a demonstration that we are of God
I Tim. 6:11, 2 Cor. 6:4
- God will Reward Our Patience Heb. 10:36
- Luke 21:19 We have control over our souls.
- We want to Receive
Patience from God
- We do not want to be
under Zero Tolerance! (At Times, God has shown this)
- Sons of Korah Num.
16:1-5; Num. 16:28-33
- Moses Striking Rock twice and rebuking at
Meribah Num. 20:7-12
- Prophet who refused to strike the other
from I Kings 20:35-36
- God is a Very Patient God
- Did not destroy Adam and Eve
- Patient in the time of Noah I Pet. 3:20 Noah Preached
- He was patient when they complained about:
- He gave them all of these and more!
Their clothes did not wear out! Duet. 29:5
- He told them he would keep them from
disease if they followed. Ex. 23:25
- He was patient when they worshipped a
- God was patient with
- Sent Jonah to call them to
- Patient with David when he sinned with
Bathsheba 2 Sam. 12:13-14
- God Was patient with Israel and their
- I Kings 20
God delivered victory to evil Israel and King Ahab
- God sent Prophets to Israel even when he
knew they would not turn from their ways.
- Jer 22:21 - I spake
unto thee in thy prosperity; but thou saidst, I will not hear. This hath been thy manner
from thy youth, that thou obeyedst not my voice.
- Jer 5:21 - Hear now
this, O foolish people, and without understanding; that have eyes, and see not; that have
ears, and hear not:
- Today, our God is patient toward all of us
though we sin.
- 2 Pet. 3:9
- Rom. 9:22
- James 5:7-8
- Are we not Fortunate! Are
we not Blessed to have a Patient God?
- Others Want to Receive
Patience from Us and Us from Them
- How Do We Know?
- Mark 12:31
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
- Do any of us want:
- To be ridiculed when we
dont understand something quickly?
- To be attacked if we
disagree with someone?
- To be honked
at when we are having car trouble?
- To be badgered when we are
digging for a nickel at the register?
- To be scowled at when our
baby is crying?
- To be shunned because we
made a mistake?
- Rom 15:4 - For
whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that through
patience and through comfort of the scriptures we might have hope. Now the God of patience
and of comfort grant you to be of the same mind one with another according to Christ
- Mat. 18:23-35 Both
Slaves desired Patience
- No one wants to end up in the shoes of the
- The Absence of Patience Results in
- Col. 3:7-8 These were the things we were clothed in before submitting to
- We all know people who are
- People who lose patience quickly and blow
up in anger.
- Ex. Brother made some not
want to talk in classes because he would get mad.
- Mark 9:42 And
whosoever shall cause one of these little ones that believe on me to stumble, it were
better for him if a great millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the
- Ex. Same brother once
threatened physical violence because did not like conversation.
- Patience has to do with having a fairly
long fuse, being able to absorb lifes annoyances without exploding in anger.
- Sins are prominent, when we disrobe
ourselves of the patience of Christ.
- In the above verses,
Paul Declares a Life Without Christ as a Life of Anger
- Without Patience you find:
- You find gossip and
- Friction and division
- Split churches, broken marriages, fractured
- Lots of short tempers. Lots of anger. Lots
- A life outside of the Patience of Christ
shows up in:
- Accusatory politics
- Violent talk shows.
- Aggressive Soccer Moms
- Out of Control sports fans and players
- Vengeful movies
- Violent music.
- [Get rid of
such things,] Paul says, [clothe yourselves with
Part II of Sermon
Too Frustrating to find Poem on Patience
- Our Patience is Going to Be Tried
- The Suffering for our
Patience is not IF, but When:
- Jeremiah 15:15
- O Jehovah, thou knowest; remember me, and visit me, and avenge me of my persecutors; take me not away in thy
longsuffering: know that for thy sake I have suffered reproach.
- Rom 12:12
- rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing stedfastly in prayer;
- 2 Co 1:6 - But
whether we are afflicted, it is
for your comfort and salvation; or whether we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which
worketh in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer:
- Eph 4:1-3 - I
therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beseech you to walk worthily of the calling wherewith
ye were called, with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; giving diligence to keep the unity of
the Spirit in the bond of peace.
- 2Th 1:4 - so
that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all
your persecutions and in the afflictions which ye endure;
- James 1:3-4
Knowing that the proving of your faith worketh
patience. And let patience have its perfect work, that
ye may be perfect and entire, lacking in nothing.
- Are We Better than the
Prophets of God?
- Jam 5:10 - Take,
brethren, for an example of suffering and of patience, the prophets who spake in the name
of the Lord.
- Num 11:11-15
Moses to God Kill me!
- Are we better than the
Man Jesus Christ?
- Heb 4:15 - For
we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities;
but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
- Mar 4:39-40 -
And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind
ceased, and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is
it that ye have no faith? Apostles irritated
- Joh 1:10 - He
was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. Dealing
with rejection trying on patience. - Do someone Good, and not
- Heb 2:9 - But
we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death,
crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every
man. Patience had to be tried to be away from heaven!
- Mar 14:65 - And some
began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him,
Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.
- How would you respond
to this? Would you pray for their forgiveness? Or having the power of God,
would you have destroyed them painfully and instantly?
Patience is Going to Be Tried!
- Four Suggestions for Developing Patience
- See People through the
lens of Imaginative Love
- Dont tailgate pokey
imagine it is your grandparent. A loving grandparent. Who
tailgates a loving grandparent?
- How does Jesus see people?
- He can see the pain they have experienced.
- He can see the walls they have put up with
- Why is a person so hardened to
Christ? Maybe they are blaming God for the loss?
- We do not know or the circumstances behind
many daily irritations.
- Hang Around Patient
People True for Young and Old
- 1Co 15:33 - Be
not deceived: Evil companionships corrupt good morals. - Dog
Want to learn how to build something?
- Listen What to know how to get
- Learn You cant learn ballet
from a hippo. An algebra teacher cannot teach you French. A Basketball player
cant cook like Paula Dean.
- More directly, you learn Christian things
from mature Christians.
- Young people, you want to know how to grow
into Christ, start spending more time with mature Christians.
- If we want to learn patience, we must hang
around patient people.
- Keep in Mind Gods
Patience Toward Us
- God could have wiped us out
a long time ago.
- He forgave me although I swore.
- He forgave me although I lied.
- He forgave me although I had turned my back
- Keep Our Eyes on Jesus
- Jesus experienced
sorrows, pain, shame, irritations, and annoyances.
- He was rejected and neglected.
- Jesus saw the injustices to the poor, the
hungry, the needy.
- Jesus did not retaliate or take vengeance
on us all.
- Patience is Not Rolling Over
- Anger Vs. Righteous
- Yes, Acting without
Patience is Stepping Out of Our Robes of Christ
- Yes, When We Step Out of
Those Robes We Engage a Life of Anger
- However, is all anger
- Two components of this Verse: Sinful
anger and non-sinful anger.
- Example of Sinful Anger
- Gen 4:5-8 - But unto
Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance
fell. And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance
fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well,
sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over
him. And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in
the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
- Examples of Righteous
Indignation Non-sinful anger
- Duet. 4:21
God angry over Moses Sin, for sake of Israel.
- I Kings 11:9
God angry with Solomon for turning from Him.
- Isa 12:1 - And
in that day thou shalt say, O LORD, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me,
thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me. Speaking
of their return from the punishment of captivity.
- Mat 21:12 And
Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the
temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold
doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer;
but ye have made it a den of thieves.
was Angry! But we know he did not sin!
- Eph. 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not:
let not the sun go down upon your wrath- Explanation
- First component discussion
of sinful anger
- Second component the anger we should not
let the sun go down on.
- Righteous Indignation
- Rom 12:9 - Let love
be without hypocrisy. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
- Rev 2:2-3 I
know thy works, and thy toil and patience, and that thou canst not bear evil men,
and didst try them that call themselves apostles, and they are not, and didst find them
false; and thou hast patience and didst bear for my name's sake, and hast not grown weary.
- Righteous Anger is Guided
- To Harm Others would Be Sinful IE.
Attack a False Prophet at Your Door
- Remember, Rom
12:19 - Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto
wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
- Righteous Anger should compel you to defend
and support the Word of God in a Godly manner.
Did Not Roll Over in the Face of Evil
- Via the Holy Spirit we
have The command and the Capacity to Be Patient.
- Patience and
longsuffering are the endurance of short and lasting sufferings.
- We all desire to be
patient, have Gods patience toward us, and Mutual Patience Among one another.
- When We Take off the
Patience of Christ, We put on a Sinful Life of Anger
- Our Patience is Going to
Be Tried, as the Patience of all Men are tried, Prophet, Priest, and King for God is no
Respector of Persons.
- Four Suggestions for
Developing Better Patience
- See People through the lens of Imaginative
- Hang Around Patient People
- Keep in Mind Gods Patience Toward Us
- Keep Our Eyes on Jesus Christ
G. Patience Does not
Mean A Christian Must Roll Over
- Have Patience, Fight with
Righteous Anger, and Do So in a Godly Manner
- 1Ti 6:12 - Fight the good
fight of the faith, lay hold on the life eternal, whereunto thou wast called, and didst
confess the good confession in the sight of many witnesses.
- 2Ti 4:7 - I have fought the
good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith:
Burdens of Every Day Make Life Seem Very Long