- Introduction Fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22 Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness
- Sermon Title: Simply
- I Cor. 13:4 - Kindness
is a characteristic of Love.
- 2 Pet.1:2-8
Not useless if we can be kind.
- Def. of kindness - being warmhearted, considerate, humane, and sympathetic
- Kindness is having
the Mind of Christ
- Phil.2:3-5 Christ
came here looking out for us.
- Acts 10:38
[Jesus] went about doing good
- Col. 3:12 - Col
3:12 Put on therefore, as God's elect, holy and beloved, a heart of compassion,
kindness, lowliness, meekness, longsuffering; - Clothe Yourself in Kindness
Putting on is a conscious behavior.
- 5 Biblical Examples of Kindness
- Finding Isaac a
Bride Gen. 24:9-25
- Servant desired success for
Abraham vs. 12
- Rebekah showed kindness in giving drink
- Rebekah showed kindness in watering camels
- How much water does a camel drink. 30
- How much water can 10 camels drink till
they are finished? 10 X 30 - vs.19
- Using a 5 Gal. Bucket, how many trips does
Rebekah make per camel 6.
- How many Trips for all of the camels?
60 she ran back to the well vs.
- How long does it take to carry water to
that many animals at 3 min. apiece? 180 min/3 hr.
- Rebekah went above and beyond common
- Gal. 6:2
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of
Christ. Reb. clothed in Christ.
2 Sam. 9
- Acts 13:22
David was a man after Gods own heart.
- Principle 1 Kindness seeks
opportunity to express itself.
- David sought out those of Sauls house
- Could be considered enemy.
- It is hard to be kind sometimes.
- David not under any obligation to show
- Principle 2 Kindness seeks
out the needy for the sake of someone else.
- V. 1 Covenant relationship
w/Jonathan. (I Sam. 18:3)
- We have a covenant of Love with God, thus
we are kind to others.
- Because of the Covenant David sent a
messenger to seek out the lost and forgotten.
- The messenger became a servant to the lost.
- Mephibosheth was lame, forgotten, and
useless to David.
- Principle 3 Kindness is
not slow in meeting a need.
- David showered blessings and honor upon
- Pro. 3:27-28 - Withhold
not good from them to whom it is due, When it is in the power of thy hand to do it. Say
not unto thy neighbor, Go, and come again, And to-morrow I will give; When thou hast it by
- David made Mephibosheth as a son
- David gave a lifelong dwelling and
- Principle 4 Kindness finds its
source in God.
- The kindess of Mephibosheth is a Type of
Gods Kindness toward us.
- David showed the kindness of God.
- God is not under obligation
to show kindness toward us.
- God extended his covenant toward us as a
matter of grace unmerited favor.
- Mephibosheth is a type of mankind,
as we are spiritually crippled.
- Yet, God sent a messenger to us
Jesus Christ, who became a servant unto us.
- God has adopted us as sons.
- He has invited us eternally to dine with
him at his table.
Q2. Are we kind to the Lost and Forgotten, those who have nothing to
- Good Samaritan
- We do not know motives of the Priest and
- Were the men too busy? Not kind
- On the way to a goat BBQ? Late for a
sacrifice? a worship service?
- Maybe they were late for their childs
we pass up the needy due to our similarly busy schedules.
- Our cars are faster than walking, but we
have less time.
- We have phones, but dont have time to
call and check on folks.
- We are late to church, so we dont
stop and help the stranded motorist.
- Get home after church, so we dont
share kind words with others.
- Are you too busy to be
- Were the men afraid for their
safety? Not kind because
- Man looked mean, rough, worldly? Dew
Rags and Tatoos?
- Rough neighborhood? This road was a
- Perhaps he wore a shoe on his head
reference to Veggie Tales.
Afraid to talk to man on street because might get mugged?
- Job safety I could get fired
for talking about Christ.
- Friend Safety - Worried about making
a scene or losing a friend?
- Are you too Afraid to be
- Did the Levite and Priest simply have
hard hearts? Not kind because
- Had seen lots of injured people, rough
- Lack of Hospitals and hard work made
visible injury more common.
- Today -
Word is on tv, radio, Bibles everywhere They need to get it together!
- What do you feel when you
see someone on the street with sign?
- Pity? Desire to help? Disgust?
Anger? Annoyance? Druggy!
- Are you too Numb to be
- Today the physically and spiritually
ailing are ignored.
- Crippled, injured, starving, poor,
- What are we doing to be
kind? Are we passing them by?
- Do we treat these situations as only one
- Provide a moments help and go on our
- Here are some bandages and bactine
- Do we aid the individual in perpetual care?
take to shelter, provide
aid, seek their provisions.
provide them, friendship,
contact, The Word.
- Jesus Heals on the
Sabbath - Mark 3:1-5
- Jesus saw an opportunity to
be kind, to help the needy.
- When posed with the
opportunity to be kind, the Pharisees were hardened.
- Hardened hearts, engage in
- They were
watching Lions waiting to pounce.
- Ex. We are all
sinners. Some have Way to Let Them Have It! attitude with sermons.
My approach is kindness, love, concern. Yet, some folks are lions, waiting to
pounce. It would be easy to feed into the wrong attitude, to conform to
- Jesus did not
conform. Jesus was angry and grieved. He hated sin and was sad to see it.
- Rom 12:1-2 I beseech
you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living
sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not
conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may
prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- Jesus Healed because it was
needed. He took action!
- Jesus healed all in need Mt. 4:24, Mt. 8:16, Mt. 12:15
- Joh 1:29 - On the
morrow he seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh
away the sin of the world!
- Jesus Healed us
because we are in need.
- Jesus washes
disciples feet John 13:3-17
- Creator of universe, of all, things we
cannot even imagine.
- Jesus was a servant.
- Is. 52:13 b.
Is. 53:11 c. Heb. 5:8
- Jesus did not say:
heres a bowl, towel, and a bar of soap Clean up!
- Jesus was an example of Kindness and love.
- Do we take the initiative to be the example
of kindness? (In Community, Church, Home)
- In the community? I Tim. 3:7 Elder must have good reputation outside of the
- We must be active and engaged with
mankind. Not just focusing on Sunday.
- In the church? Are we visibly
gentle, warm, friendly? Yes, this is kindness.
- Do we lend a hand where needed.
- Children, youth, are you respectful and
helpful to teachers? Do you ask to help?
- John Barcus told girls if in trouble call
the elders when traveling? Why? Kindness!
- Big trouble area is kindness at home.
Spouses and Children.
- To tired to be considerate.
- They know I love them.
- Been kind all day, I want to
- They arent always kind to
me! We werent always kind to Jesus.
- How can you help at home?
Q5. Are we servants of kindness in the church, in the community, and at
- One Example of the effects of a Lack of
- The Death of Solomon
- 2 Chron. 9:31 10:8
- Rehoboam decided against
- The Kingdom was split forever
- We have the same
decision before us as did Rehoboam
- As the Church, we
can choose to be kind or not.
- We play a part in whether or not someone
chooses to serve the King.
- There are consequences to unkindness.
- Mat 18:6 But whoso
shall cause one of these little ones that believe on me to stumble, it is profitable for
him that a great millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be
sunk in the depth of the sea.
- Matt. 25:42-46
- Do we have the mind of
Christ in regard to Kindness?
- Do we go beyond the
minimum in our kindness to others?
- Are we kind to the Lost
and Forgotten, those who have nothing to offer?
- Are we accountable when
moments of Kindness present themselves?
- Are we kind when needed
or do we conform to the world?
- Are we servants of
kindness in the church, in the community, and at home?
- Are we going to forego
kindness and possibly hinders someone from the King?
- My privilege to extend
the kindness of Christ in the form of an invitation.
- To the non-christian.
Do you know what Christ expects of you?
- Yes, then you know you need
to be baptized and why.
- No, then offer opportunity
- To the christian. Have you faltered
in your kindness?
- God is a forgiving God, acknowledge that,
pray and repent.
- If you need further aid, this congregation
stands to aid you.
- One final Verse Eph. 4:32