THAT YOUR JOY MAY BE FULL
- Read Text: 1 John 1:1-4
- John 15:11 -
"These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy
may be full".
- John 16:24 -
"Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your
joy may be full".
- John 17:13 -
"But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My
joy fulfilled in themselves".
and John both speak of full or complete Joy.
- Survey which asked people why they had
quit going to church.
The majority answered:
- The "joy" of
worshipping God was gone.
- They were going through the
motions without emotion and their religion became dry and empty.
- Ask Hollywood What do you derive your greatest Joys from?
- Environment, stardom, weather, freedom of
- Variety of responses..
- Among ourselves ask What gives you the greatest joy?
- Variety of answers
- We may have a smile on our face being in
but are we experiencing fullness of Joy?
- John 15:11
Jesus Desire is for His joy to remain in us.
- We want to study this perspective
Fullness of Joy.
- Some may have.. fraction of joy, half full
of joy, emptiness.. no joy whatsoever..
to study to understand what Jesus meant! So we can rejoice in that way.
- Joy is not happiness
- Jesus did not say that
we would always be "happy" in our walk with Him,
- Happiness is concerned with
what "happens to us,"
- Good health, compliments,
nice hair day, On time, sunshine, obedient children, etc.
- Happiness comes and goes cloudy,
ill, late, criticism, cranky child, etc.
- Joy is connected to what is "going on
- Joy is spiritual Gal. 5:22
- Jesus wants this joy to be a constant in
So why are so many people
bouncing from church to church looking for something new to happen?
Why are so many
people spiritually dry and empty inside? They have confused Joy and
We once were
baptized and rejoicing!
Has happiness replaced our joy?
- In seeking out Happiness,
we often stumble into sin.
- Sin is like a
drainplug. If you utilize it, you are slowly drained of Joy.
- The joys experienced in
Christ, slowly disappear down the drain.
- Our Joy is not Separate
from Our Salvation
- John wrote to instruct
us on how to live in a state of "fullness of joy."
- Without joy:
- church becomes another thing to do in busy
- prayer becomes a ritual.
- praise becomes noise.
- Without joy our worship loses its light.
- Songs sound hollow.
- Our service to God becomes a weariness.
- Joy and salvation are
- David prayed in Psalm 51:12, "Restore unto me the joy of they salvation. . .
- Isaiah 12:2-3
Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for
Jehovah, even Jehovah, is my strength and song; and he is become my salvation.
Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. Our Joy comes from God. If our focus is not Him, no joy.
- Phil. 4:4 -
"Rejoice in the Lord alway, and again I say Rejoice" Rejoice where?
- Do We Recognize our
Salvation? And Rejoice in Gods presence?
- Leave church
mad or sad.
- Sit through the Wonder of Worship and miss
the joy of being in the presence of God.
- Ps. 16:11 - ".
. .in thy presence there is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for
- Go through Life as an
empty pitcher. Empty and dry. This results in:
- Not being a witness because they feel like
- Not worshipping because there is no melody
in their hearts.
- Not ministering because they are on a quest
for joy in their own life and simply live in hope that somehow someone or something will
fill the empty pitcher of their life with joy.
- How Do We Become Filled with Joy?
If we have never been filled or we have been drained?
I John shows us that we fill the pitcher of joy by pouring out our lives in four
- First, We Must
Pour Out Self (Pour the glass labeled "self" into the
- I John. 1:8-9 -
"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to
cleans us from all unrighteousness."
- We must pour our "self" out
before God and one another.
- We need to be Real and Honest
- Admit we dont know it all.
Admit we need help. Admit we arent perfect.
- Mat 5:3 - Blessed
are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- 1Pe 5:6 - Humble
yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time;
casting all your anxiety upon him, because he careth for you.
- Joy comes with the understanding we cannot
go it alone in life.
- Ex. Homeless
teenagers. Tough act They can handle it all. Yet, they cannot.
- Second, We Must
Pour In Fellowship With God (Pour the glass labeled "God" into the
- There is no real joy without a real
relationship with God.
- How much of a relationship do I have with
my wife if I only speak to her a few minutes a day?
- How much of a relationship do I have with
my wife if I only spend a couple hrs. w/her 1da/wk.
- There is will be little joy in that
- We must fill our life with fellowship with
- Prayer, worship, study, song, and a godly
- A relationship with God is a communion of
heart and soul.
- Religion cannot bring you the joy of God.
- There are many religions
- There is only one God
- Gods will, is the only will, that
will, bring you joy.
- Rituals and Traditions cannot bring you the
Joy of God.
- Being a child of God is much more than
being one in name.
- Being a child of God requires us to be a
- We must be trying to build a relationship
with God through His Traditions..
- "fullness of
joy" comes from Gods presence - I Jn. 1:3
"truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ."
- This is in sickness and health, richer or
poorer, pain or pleasure
It's not enough to
seek "quality time" with God. Wemust walk in the light as He is in the
- Next, We Must Pour in
(Pour the glass labeled "service" into the pitcher.)
- I John 2:3-4 -
"Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who
says, 'I know Him,' and does not keep His commandment, is a liar, and the truth is not in
Ex. John Hicks
73 - doing the Lord's will, obedient to His call has joy. You cannot be winning
souls into the Kingdom of God and be lacking joy at the same time.
- Salvation is not by our works, but when we
are in love with God we will want to serve Him.
- There is something wrong with our
relationship with God if:
- We do not want to serve God in some
- We do not keep His command to share the
- We do not minister His love to those around
- To have joy filled to the brim of your
soul, you are going to have to get busy for God.
- You may be a:
- prayer warrior, teacher, an encourager, a
helper, something nobody else has done!
- If it reaches people with
the love of God it will fill your soul with wonderful Joy!
- Finally, We must
pour into others. (Pour in the glass labeled "others.")
- Some folks have the attitude "me and
Jesus, we got our own thing goin',"
- That attitude is in direct opposition to
what the Word has to say.
- "A new commandment I
give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one
another" - John 13:34.
- "This is my
commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you" - John 15:12.
- "These things I
command you, that ye love one another" - John 15:17.
3. When we focus
on God, on serving Him by touching the lives of others, we will have joy.
Ex. Going to Prison,
Nursing Homes People who have nothing to give me in return, but whose lives are
brightened through the hope of salvation.
- Summarize being filled with Joy in one
- If you want joy, Seek
the Will of God.
- Get your eyes off
yourself and get them on God
- Develop a Relationship with God.
- Serve God
- Serve Others.
- This is how you find
- Neh. 8:10 -
"the joy of the Lord is your strength"
- The Joy of the Lord is a
never ending well.
- If this is the case, how do
we lose Joy by sin?
- We make decision to not follow the will of
- Jesus has given us something no one can
ever take away. Yet, people give it away!
- Someone might make you unhappy, sorrowful,
upset... Yet, they cannot take your Joy away!
- If you lose it, it is because you responded
or acted in an ungodly way.
- Jesus said if you want His Joy
must remain in you! Hold on to His will! I Pet. 4:12-13
- Many have gone through
Sorrow following the will of God
- They all rejoiced in doing
the will of God.
- James 1:2 - Count it
all joy, my brethren, when ye fall into manifold temptations; Knowing that the proving of
your faith worketh patience.
- How about you
- Is your Joy Full? Are you half
- What are you going to do about it?
- The will of God for
all mankind is that they come to Him.
- Do you believe he will pour
out His joy on you?
- 1Jo 5:13 These things
have I written unto you, that ye may know that ye have eternal life, even unto you
that believe on the name of the Son of God.
- Are you ready to experience
True Joy His way?
- Mat 3:2 Repent ye;
for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- Do You Know the only way to
experience true Joy is through Christ?
- Acts 4:12 - And in none
other is there salvation: for neither is there any other name under heaven, that is given
among men, wherein we must be saved.
- All who desire salvation in
Christ are baptized.
- 1Co 12:13 For in one
Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free;
and were all made to drink of one Spirit.
By pouring ourselves out according to the
Will of God, We will be filled with joy thru an endless age.
If you seek Joy today at the feet of God,
please let it be made known as we stand and sing,