"FISHING- WHEN FISHING IS NOT
- Jesus Christ knew fishing
- His ministry was on the Sea of
- There are cities on the Sea of
Galilee were right on the water.
- The synagogues where Jesus Taught were near the
- A great population was in and around the Sea of
Galilee during the life Christ.
- Jesus Liked fishing! The first
four people called apostles were fishermen.
- So Jesus understood fishing.
- He said, "I will make you fishers of men.
- The result of following Jesus, is learning to be a
fisher of men.
- There is something in a man
that likes fishing.
a. On a lovely
spring or summer day, he says, "Let's go to the lake." "Let's go fishing. n
- OUR FISHING TODAY IS NOT LIKE THEIRS
- Our Fishing is not like
theirs because it is a Recreation
- It is a hobby, it is a
- We begin slobbering at the mouth because we
- Someone says, "I just have to get away from it all and
just go on out to the lake."
- The point is this: "Escape from our normal surroundings/pressures.
- So immediately when you talk about fishing, you talk about going elsewhere to
- That is why our concept of
evangelism is different from theirs in the first century,
- It is not something that is a part
of our daily life.
- It is something you do elsewhere with somebody
else in a Special Way.
- It is not our lifestyle. It is not our
- You get away and you go do it and then you come
back to life.
- Evangelism should be apart of
your daily life.
- It should be in your household
- It should be at the coffeeshop.
- It should at friends homes.
- It should be at Familys homes.
- It should be at supermarket.
- Our Fishing is not like
theirs because it is a Sport
- To be a good fisherman, you
have to spend ten thousand dollars on a boat.
- Have you seen some of the latest
boats - they have everything.
- They have trolling motors, fish
finders, you name it - they make it easy.
- You have to get the supplies to
- You have to get a rod and reel.
- You have to have lures, you have
to read books.
- To be real good, you need to invest in some Video's.
- Peter, James, and John never saw our kinds of rods
and reels! (although Mt.
- We go at set times.
- It is something you get good
- You practice. You get in the
backyard and take a number three spoon or
something and throw it this way and that way and behind your back.
- You get proficient at it.
- You have let better ones get away than ever
- You are an authority.
- You are skilled and can do an amazing thing with a
boat, with a rod, and with a reel.
- What else is involved in that
kind of fishing? Deception is.
- Every lure is deceptive. You hide
the hook, make it glimmer, and make it shiny.
- In Oregon, the water is crystal clear, one of the
secrets of catching trout fish, is making sure they don't see you.
- You get back where they can't see you.
- And that is like some people's
concept of evangelism.
- Some want to make the sell - to
manipulate, deceive, and "hook'em" on this
and " hook'em" on that. (Band,
Youth Group, Big Screen TV, Puppet Shows, Short Sermons, Learn English!)
- Jesus never manipulated anyone to follow
him - story of the Rich Young Ruler - Matthew' 19.
- Also we make sure the lures fit
the fishes mouth.
- This is for the walleye, this is
for the bass, this hook is for the catfish.
- Its good to have a prospect list, BUT,
be careful, your prospect list may not be God's.
- Bob and Juan Cruz Juan sent
- If Ananias, in Acts 9, had a prospect list, more than likely Saul of Tarsus
name was not on it.
- When God said, "Ananias, you go preach to Saul," Ananias started arguing with Him with him.
- He said, "Saul is
not on my prospect list." God said, "He is now!"
- The Bible says that God is, "not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone
to come to repentance. " (2
Peter 3:9) and they should "come unto the knowledge of the truth."
- Jesus said, "whosoever will" may come.
- When we have a lure, we are going after a certain
kind, and we have eliminated everybody else.
- In John 4 the apostles did not have the woman at Jacob's well on their list.
- Even Phillip, as
great an evangelist has he was, did not have the eunuch on his list in Acts 8!
- The problem is "we vote". Not like Baptists, we
condemn others for doing; we vote with our prospect lists,
- I believe he is ready, but not him. I want him,
but I don't care how he gets there.
- The Term Soul
Winner is an odd term.
- Proverbs 11:30 - "He that winneth souls is wise,"
- This passage is about wisdom, not soul winning.
- The word winner in soul-winner implies somebody
- This is often the way we can come across to
- We come across to attack; we have come for the
victory, to convert you.
- We come across - I have the answers and you don't;
I'm smart and you are not. I'm right and your wrong. I am coming to
- And that is when fishing is not
- When fishing is not fishing, is
when you have a trophy room with prize catches.
- I enjoy talking about fishing.
Some only fish for the largest, and best fish - the trophy fish.
- If they catch a smaller than
trophy size -they throw it back.
- They want one for the wall.
- "I wrestled for 1 hour trying to get this wall eye in."
- The same attitude surfaces when
people brag, "I
as if the man were a trophy.
- Do you suppose in Ananias'
house up there on the wall was:
"Paul, baptized by Ananias in Damascus"?
- That doesn't sound too good.
- There is no trophy room in heaven.
- THEIR WAY OF FISHING IS THE RIGHT WAY
- Their fishing was their
- James, John, Peter, and Andrew
were not Saturday and holiday fishers.
- They did not keep a bass boat in
- And they did not practice with the rod and
reel in the backyard.
- Fishing was not fun and games.
- It was their whole life. It was
- It was like being a carpenter, it was like being a
doctor; it was like being a school teacher.
- Fishing put food on the table.
If they did not fish successfully, the family did not eat.
- Evangelism should be our whole
- It is not something we do on Tuesday night.
- It is not something I do elsewhere with somebody
- Evangelism is not something you
do, it who you are!
- Fishing was
- They had a boat. They had a net. They had a business.
- And they either saw after that business or they
starved to death. That simple.
- Their fishing was hard and
dirty, smelly work,
- Have you smelled fish lately? (Tell about fish smell in unwashed ice cooler)
- So far as I know, there are no good smelling fish.
- If you were an evolutionist, it has let you down
in that area.
- Spreading Christ isnt
always going to lead to pleasant experiences.
- This kind of fishing on the sea
of Galilee was dangerous.
- The sea of Galilee is deep, like a
- They go out on a dark night with no electric
lights and no modern equipment.
- On a black night they were in deep water, fighting
a net full offish, with their lives at stake.
- It was not fun and games.
- Souls can be lost for eternity.
- You also had better know what
you are doing.
- Fishing is not for the cowardly.
It is not for the softy, for the sissy.
- It is not just going out and
making some pretty speeches.
- You get in over your head and you sink or swim.
- The woman at the well did not
know much, but she relied on Jesus.
- God has given us his word to
study and know and to keep us afloat!
- It is on their terms. When they
went to get fish, the apostles had to do so on the people terms.
- The fish did not come to them.
Fishing for men is on their terms.
- We have to go to men. We have to meet them where
they are, not where we want them to be.
- The world isnt going to
come one by one through the Church doors.
- Their fishing was humbling
- If you were a lawyer, you could
use your sharp mind and quick tongue to sway the jury.
- But if you are a fisherman, you
are at the mercy of God; you are at the mercy of nature; you are at the mercy of the fish;
and you can go out and work all night as they did in the Bible and still get nothing.
- When a fisherman goes out on the sea, there is only one thing he counts
on, his profound faith in Gods sea to provide fish.
- He is weather-beaten. He is dirty. He is wrinkled.
He is stoop-shouldered. He is experienced.
- Why is he out there? He believes in God and the
seas, and that the fish will bite.
- That same faith in God is all
we have to go on. We hope that as fishers of men, through God the fish will bite.
- Their fishing involved
keeping what they caught.
- They threw back the cola cans,
the rubber boots, the glass jars, and all the other junk, but they did not throw back any
- The church to be ready for
total evangelism must keep what they get!
- When you let a net down you get "big
un 's" and "little un 's" and all
different shape ones.
- You do not get to pick, and you do not get
I like this and I don't like that; you can and you cannot."
- The Bible says a little culling
is to be done, but that is not to be done in the church, but by the angels on judgement
- Sometimes brethren have self-appointed themselves as angels, and we they
have already had the judgment day.
- The church is a net. Whoever
will may come, and whoever gets in we are to work at keeping.
- That includes all: the problemed, the respected, the needy, the rich, the pained, the nice, all!!
1. Jesus said, "Peter, Andrew, James, and John,
you are fishermen of the sea, I will make you fishermen of men."