Choose to Be Meek
- I Believe
- God first before ourselves
- Others first before self
- Step back to step forward
- Study on the Fruit of the
- Galatians 5:22 Meekness
- Sermon Title: Choose to be
- Worldly Definition of Meek
- Weakling, pansy, coward, chicken
- Random House Definition of Meek
- Humbly Patient
- Meekness is much more
strength, courageousness, trust, commitment, fearlessness, conviction, and other brave
- The Objective of this Sermon is
to Learn What it is to be Meek.
- Matthew 5:5 - Blessed are
the meek, for they shall inherit the [Land] earth. (Sermon on the mount)
- Meekness is important.
- Meekness is not about us.
- Meekness is about God.
- Mat. 5:16, "Let your
light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father
who is in heaven."
- Jesus teaching how to Glorify God in lives.
- Aim was for Christian lifestyle to make others
think about God.
- Introduction to Psalm 37
- Similarity between Matt. 5:5 and Psalm 37
- Psalm 37:11 may indeed point to Mat. 5:5
- Psalm 37:11 - "The
meek shall possess the land, and delight themselves in abundant prosperity."
- Words are almost identical.
- Psalm 37:9b - "Those who wait for the Lord shall possess the land."
- Draw some Conclusions:
- If meek will possess the land,
- And those who wait for the Lord will possess the
- Then the meek are those who wait for the Lord.
- From verses 11 and 9, we can see the
early text here in Psalm 37 is talking about the Meek.
- Lets Begin our Study of What it is to be
Meek in Vs. 5-8 of Psalm 37.
- 4 Characteristics of the Meek from Psalm 37:5-8
- The Meek Trust in God
- Verse 5b Trust
also in Him and He will do it
- Meek people begin by trusting God.
- Believe He will work for them
- Believe He will show them right in
the face of Opposition..
- Biblical meekness is rooted in the deep confidence
that God is for you and not against you.
- Rom. 8:31 Who can be against us with God being for us? No
one of consequence.
- Joshua demonstrated trust at the walls of Jericho.
- Gideon Demonstrated trust with 300 men against
Midianites and Amalekites.
- David Demonstrated this trust against Goliath.
- Shadrak, Meshack, and Abednego demonstrated it
going to the firey furnace.
- Daniel demonstrated trust on the way to the
- Christ demonstrated trust on the way to the cross.
- Stephen Demonstrated trust as He was stoned to
Death by the Sanhedrin
- Paul demonstrated trust as a prisoner on his way
- These Men Chose to be Meek and trust in God.
- The Meek Commit Their Way to
- Verse 5a - meek people commit their way to the Lord.
- The Hebrew word for "commit" means
literally to "roll."
- Meek people TRUST God and roll their
"way" onto the Lord.
- Roll Problems over to God.
- They admit they are insufficient to cope with the
obstacles of life.
- They believe God is able and willing to help,
guide, and protect them.
- Mat 11:30 - For my yoke is easy,
and my burden is light.
- The Meek commit their way to God
- They know they are spiritually
poor! (Mt. 5:3) They cant deal
with it on their own.
- The Meek Are Quiet Before God
and Wait for Him
- Verse 7a, meek people patiently wait for the Lord..
- Not lazy. They're free of frenzy, panic, worry.
- They have a steady calm that comes from knowing
- Knows all
- Can Do All
- Has their affairs under his control
- Is a gracious God
- Will work things out for the best.
- Meek people have a quiet steadiness in the
midst of upheaval.
- Wait for Gods Timing.
- Ex. Dan. 3:14-3:18 - Shadrack, Meshack and Abednego
- Ex. Acts 16:22-26 - Paul and Silas in Prison Singing
- The Meek Don't Fret over the
- Verse 7b and 8 is that they don't fret or anger themselves over the
wicked who prosper
- Why do the wicked always seem to be doing so well?
- Easy to get wrapped up in frustration over sin
that seems to be rewarded.
- PAGE 753 in Song Book. Read First and
Last. Farther Along
- The Meek focus on the mansions of Christ, not the
- What does meekness mean in this
- It means Trusting God, committing
our Way to God, Waiting for His Timing, and not becoming angry about the benefits of being
- 5th Characteristic of Meekness from
- Numbers 12:14 describes an occasion when Miriam and Aaron criticized Moses.
- In the following verses the Lord rebukes Miriam and Aaron and vindicates
his servant Moses.
- But Lets Examine Verse 3 closer.
- Meekness Between Opposition and
- Why call Moses meek right between
the bitter opposition and God's vindication?
- Perhaps the point is that meekness means committing
your cause to God and not needing to defend yourself.
- Just where we would expect the text to tell us
what Moses said to justify himself against the charge of Miriam and Aaron, the text
says he was the meekest man on the earth.
- Moses doesn't say a word. Instead he:
- He waits patiently for the Lord.
- He doesnt worry over these critical words.
- And God comes to his defense.
- A 5th Characteristic
of the Meek.
- We can now add a 5th trait of meekness: It trusts, commits,
waits for God, and keeps from anger; it also refrains from revenge and
- Meekness is the power to absorb adversity and
criticism without lashing back.
- Ex. Boxers Dont work out with Porcelain punching bags.
- Bags can absorb great shocks
without any problem.
- The Meek understand that Vengeance is the Lords! Rom.
- 6th Characteristic of Meekness in
- James 1:19-21 - Know this,
my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the
anger of man does not work the righteousness of God. Therefore put away all filthiness and
rank growth of wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is
able to save your souls.
- Two Kinds of People
- James has in mind two kinds of
- A person who does not take time to
listen to what other people have to teach.
- A Person who is receptive to the Word of God.Listens
- - Receives with meekness humble patience
the Word of God.
- Thus, 6th
characteristic of Meekness Is Teachable Open to Reason
- This means we don't have a resistant, hostile
spirit when we are being taught.
- It doesn't mean:
- We are gullible.
- We will never get angry about what some people
- Verse 19 says that we should be "SLOW to anger," not never experience anger.
- Jesus said in Matthew 11:29,
"I am meek and lowly
in heart." But in
- Mark 3:5 it says he became angry and grieved at the hard heartedness of the
- Matthew 21 he drove the merchants out of the temple and turned over their
- Meekness is not the absence of passion and
conviction for the glory of God.
- It does mean that we don't have hair-triggers.
- Meekness of Wisdom
- James 3:13 - "Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good life let
him show his works in the meekness of wisdom."
- James 3:17 - "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable,
gentle, open to reason . "
- Does not this Scripture teach there is a
correlation between meekness and being open to reason?
- Ex. Discussion with another
person: Travis and Myself
- Meekness will listen to the
reasons for anothers opinion.
- Meekness will allow one to calmly
give the reasons for their opinion.
- This happens because we are
wanting to please God and we are seeking His Word.
- 7th and final Characteristic, Meekness
Cares about Truth.
- Meekness cares about truth and
whether others agree.
- Matt. 28:18, Mk. 16:15, Col. 3:16,
2 Tim. 3:16 emphasize the spreading of Truth.
- If we are spreading truth, we want folks to
- And therefore our meekness may become passionate
- Remember: Meekness is always a servant
submissive to a higher standard of truth.
- It is willing to change its opinions into line
- Meekness knows its own ability to make error.
- But for that reason Meekness takes debate and
- It wants to understand its own errors and put them
- Deference is not Meekness
- Ex. Travis and I have a discussion
and we do not discuss our different opinions. We
are not being meek!
- We are Being Weak!
- We defer our reasoning, because we dont
want to put ourselves to the test against higher Truth, but hold to our
own perceived truth.
- Galatians 6:12 -
Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him
in a spirit of meekness. Look to yourself, lest you too be tempted.
- Meekness is slow to speak and
slow to anger,
- but when it decides that it must speak
- It speaks with the deep awareness that it is
- Mt. 7:3-5 first cast out the beam out of thine own
- Ex. Meekness is like a Doctor with
bad eyes Get Your glasses on before surgery!
- Meekness seeks truth and what is
right in all its dealings.
- We must be like the Punching Bag and absorb the loving blows of our friends instruction.
- Meekness loves the truth and wants to learn.
- The Full Portrait of Biblical
- Begins by putting our trust in
- Committing our way to him.
- Waiting patiently for the
Lords timing in handling all things.
- Not giving way to quick and
- Letting God deal with the vengeance department.
- Being open to Reason.
- Caring about Truth, even if it means we need to be
- They Shall Inherit the Earth
- Now let's turn our attention to
the second half of: Matt. 5:5 - Blessed are the meek,
FOR THEY SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.
- This is a promise!
- Meekness as a fruit of the Spirit is a promise!
- What effect does Jesus want these
promises to have on the disciples?
- HE WANTS IT TO MOTIVATE CHRISTIANS to continue in their meekness.
- Verse 12: "Rejoice
and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who
were before you."
- The Promise of Great Reward Gives Strength to
- Ex. Alaskan Fishing Boats Great Money Rotten Conditions.
- We Have God! We have His Promises. God
- Mans Tendency is to Want
- Is meekness a scary thought?
- When you are meek, you are giving control to God.
- You are admitting you cannot survive on your own.
- God knows what is best for you and what will
- He will guide you with the truth of His Word.